Monday 20 July 2009

First Night in Prague!


Got into Prague at about 820pm and the taxi driver was waiting for me with my name on a piece of paper as I exited. He didn’t speak any English so of course that was really awkward! But he was nice. We tried to communicate with small gestures so that was interesting. The airport is pretty far from the apartment and we kept passing by some really ghetto places so I kept praying that he wasn’t going to stop the taxi at those places. We finally came upon a large tall building and that was my stop. He had a package for me that had he keys in it and maps and things that the school provided. He thank goodness helped me with my two bags and showed me the flat which is on the 13th floor.

My roommate had greeted me when I walked. Her name is Frances- goes by Fran and she is from Bristol, UK. I was so excited that she was my roommate because she was one of the girls that I had been corresponding with on the Celta website before I got here. I chose a room with a balcony but none of the rooms had closets in the room but they have a massive shared closet in the hallway far from my room. BAH! Do you know how many clothes I brought out here?!

Even after the long journey of getting there, for some reason I found enough energy to get out to the city. Fran had been desperate to get out of the flat. So we went to city center after refreshing myself and trying not to smell. The metro station is right down the street from the flat. We stopped at I.P. Pavlova- favorite stop on the C line because of how the soothing train voice says it- it is pronounced- E. Pei Pavlova—love it for some reason. Haha

Wondered the streets and realized that there was nothing really going on- we looked obviously lost so an American guy stopped us and headed us in the right direction- we should’ve taken the next stop- Muzeum- that’s the main center


Found a tram in the middle of the square serving beer.. not a functional one but just one for show. Another girl from the course had started correspondence with us to try to meet up before the course began- Thank god Fran was my roommate because she had her phone and was able to get in touch with that girl- Stephanie. Took a long time to meet Stephanie and figure out where we were in order to tell her where to go.

By the time we got there and found Stephanie and somehow directed her to where we were- we only had 1 beer and that was all and it closed so we just headed home. I thought I was a trooper for the night for going out in the first place anyways!

1 comment: